[OSM-dev] Joining SRTM Gov. Elevation Data with OSM USA Data Locally

Joel Znamenacek audiofile at outlook.com
Sun Mar 2 21:16:36 UTC 2014

Ping....

From: audiofile at outlook.com
To: dev at openstreetmap.org
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 11:11:17 -0800
Subject: [OSM-dev] Joining SRTM Gov. Elevation Data with OSM USA Data Locally

Trying to build one database with SRTM 1 sec (30m) data and OSM data of the USA is kicking my ass. I'm reaching out for help. I have both datasets in SQL Server and trying to join them together is the pain point. The pain is either in long query times and/or not accurate enough lookups. I'm finding SQL Server 2012 spatial is slow (it uses .NET). The scope of the project is just the USA data.

My server system is:
overclocked and water-cooled i7 3930k (4.1GHZ) 6 cores (plus 6 "Hyperthreads")
32 GB RAM
1.6GB/s disk IO subsystem and 1/2 TB of space. Speed is as indicated by SQL Server performance monitor. (This can go higher w/more HW RAID controllers that I already have)
SQL Server Enterprise
Windows Server 2012 Enterprise

Ideas from a 30,000' view on how to associate SRTM elevation for any OSM lat/lon point via SQL query on my server is appreciated (granular views are just as good :) )