[OSM-dev] Joining SRTM Gov. Elevation Data with OSM USA Data Locally

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Mar 2 23:00:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 02/28/2014 08:11 PM, Joel Znamenacek wrote:
> Trying to build one database with SRTM 1 sec (30m) data and OSM data of
> the USA is kicking my ass. I'm reaching out for help. I have both
> datasets in SQL Server and trying to join them together is the pain
> point. The pain is either in long query times and/or not accurate
> enough lookups.

This is really a question you should discuss with SQL server experts,
not with OSM experts. A watercooled and over-clocked CPU is good but a
well designed query is even better, and "well designed" depends very
much on how the database system works that's why I said SQL server experts.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Route_altitude_profiles_SRTM is an
example of loading SRTM data into a PostGIS. I don't know what you want
to do but if you're thinking about route altitude profiles, then you'd
most certainly first want to compute a route and then add the altitude
information to that, rather than adding altitude to every point in OSM
first.

But at this point we can just guess really. Tell us exactly what you
want to achieve and we might be able to suggest something. "Building a
database with SRTM data and OSM data" is not nearly precise enough.

Bye
Frederik