[OSM-dev] Am I alone here?

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 16:40:08 UTC 2014

Sandor Seres wrote:

> ...  and maybe therefore there is very little effort dedicated to
> errors, especially to systematic errors.

Er what?  There's a lot of effort going into all of the following:

1) developing tools that enable new mappers to not make errors in the
first place

2) detecting errors (things that are unlikely or impossible, based on
other things mapped)

3) helping new mappers get to grips with mapping tools and map their
surroundings

If you doubt that (2) and (3) occur I suggest that you pop in to one of
the country IRC channels where there is a "new mappers" and "notes" feed
after there's been a press article about OSM, such as #osm-gb.

> Systematic errors are having same, or similar causes. They are present
> in a huge number and distributed all over the World. It is difficult
> to see them, detect them and correct/repair them.

What would be useful here would be some sort of example the sorts of
errors that you're talking about and (even better!) a suggestion as to
how a particular systematic error might be avoided.  If you look at the
issues list for the iD editor (i.e. (1) in the list above) you'll see
lots of discussion balancing "making it easy for people to contribute"
and "making what people contribute more likely to be correct".  It's not
easy; please don't assume that people haven't had all of these
discussions already.

> Usual editors based one-by-one correction is meaningless.

I disagree here.  If something's been added to the map that's physically
impossible it's really useful that the various QA sites flag it as an
error.  However in most cases to resolve it someone will need to get out
from behind their computer keyboard and Go And Have A Look, because if
an error that an online QA site can spot is there, who knows what else
is wrong?  Merely removing the indication that there is a problem on the
QA site doesn't make what's in OSM match reality.

So, can you give an example of a systematic error that occurs in OSM
data (I can think of a few, but they're really "common new mapper
mistakes", and as such easily corrected by resurvey), and can you give a
suggestion as how to prevent / fix them?

Cheers,

Andy