[OSM-dev] Displaying snapshots of BING imagery with current OSM data and an overlaying grid

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Mar 15 20:02:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 15.03.2014 20:18, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
> What I did was to screenshot from the iD editor the area, split into 4
> images with adequate zoom for details and then creating a grid using
> Paint.Net (decent enough image editor, freeware) before posting it.

This might not be compatible with Bing's imagery license. Just because
we can use it as a backdrop in an editor doesn't mean we can create
copies and distribute in a forum.

> Why, you ask, don't you just point them to the very easy to use
> iD-editor! Because, I answer, it is an extra step most people are
> unwilling to do simply to just say "yeah that is the clinic and that is
> the supermarket". Hopefully some users will go down this route but the
> majority probably will not.

That's sad because it means you will be re-inventing large parts of the
wheel.

> So my intention is to create an interactive version of this, where I
> mark out a boundary box and then retrieve for it the Bing imagery
> alongside the OSM data, exactly like iD does currently. Overlay the
> image with a grid and then either allow someone (maybe using Facebook or
> Twitter login - not sure about that) to submit an observation.

You could think about using the OSM "notes" feature where even anonymous
users can submit notes which you (or anyone else) can then call up in an
OSM editor and convert to properly tagged objects.

You could either direct people to the osm.org web site and explain the
notes feature, or write a small Javascript interface yourself that
places these notes in OSM.

Bye
Frederik