[OSM-dev] new on osm

Simone Cortesi simone at cortesi.com
Fri Mar 21 15:12:52 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Giuseppe Ricci <peppepegasus at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Giuseppe,

> But I want to understand if osm's data permit to implement my idea.
> My first question is: if I have some points of interest and I want to show
> these on an open street map is it possible? For example with google map
> there is this tutorial:
>
> https://developers.google.com/maps/articles/phpsqlajax_v3

we normally use http://leafletjs.com/ as a front-end to osm tiles.

the DB approach you suggest is still valid inside OSM, you need to
provide your own database and create a structure which can be queried
by your script, a that is able to provide well formatted json or csv
based on the requested bounding box. there are numerous plugins for
that: http://leafletjs.com/plugins.html

> The second question is: can I query the osm's database to find hotels,
> restaurants, shopping center, etc? Is it possible to show these points on a
> osm map?

overpass API is the answer.

shops in Bari: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/2PS