[OSM-dev] Tiles provider

Ilya Zverev zverik at textual.ru
Wed Mar 26 12:58:01 UTC 2014

Vince Berubey:
> Hi,To download the tiles from level 0 to 17 from a US state, is the
> only option to have an offline tiles server? Is there a company
> allowing you to do bulk downloading of tiles?

The best option in my opinion is installing postgresql and mapnik on a
local machine, and then generating tiles locally. That's what I have
done last weekend instead of downloading tiles for zooms 14-15, and it
turned out to be much easier that it looks. I've documented steps
here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Zverik/Tile_Server_on_Fedora_20

(Someday that page will have something on setting up a tile server,
but for now I stopped at generating static tiles)

All you need is a linux machine and an extract of OSM data for your
state. Try here: http://download.geofabrik.de/north-america.html — you
need an [.osm.pbf] file.

IZ