[OSM-dev] Changefile Downloads Stalling

Humphries, Grant HumphriG at TriMet.org
Wed Nov 12 01:31:25 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I have been trying intermittently for a few weeks now to use osmupdate to refresh a local OSM extract.  The problem that I am having relates to the download of changefiles from planet.openstreetmap.org.  Ultimately I want to update my extract once per day, so most of the changefiles that need to be downloaded and applied are of the hourly variety, such as this one: http://planet.openstreetmap.org/replication/hour/000/018/973.osc.gz

These files are generally 2 to 5 MB in size and the problem that I'm having is that my download will stall, sometimes for 20 to 30 minutes, sometimes up to a couple of hours, on one or more of these small changefiles virtually every time I attempt to use osmupdate.  The odd thing is that changefiles that are downloaded back-to-back, and that are roughly the same size can take vastly different amounts of time to complete.  For instance today osmupdate started with changefile 18975 and 18974 which took seconds, but then 18973 took around 20+ minutes.  I'm running this tool on a linux cent os server, and osmupdate uses wget to download the files.  I've tried using wget and curl on the same files outside of osmupdate and the problem persists.  I've also tried downloading the files through Firefox on a windows PC and had similar problems.  I've asked others on IRC to attempt the same downloads with varying results, some experience a similar lag, and some are able to download the same files I'm having trouble with in seconds.

I was just going to say that this file in particular has given me trouble https://planet.openstreetmap.org/replication/hour/000/018/823.osc.gz as I have tried to download it many times and it has always stalled and taken an extremely long time to complete, but I just tried it one more time and it took 8.8 seconds.  So is this kind of variance to be expected?

Thanks in advance for any help

Best,

-Grant