[OSM-dev] Changefile Downloads Stalling

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 16:09:52 UTC 2014

I was one of the people on IRC yesterday and can confirm that I am seeing
similar problems when downloading files from planet.osm.org while at work
(university campus) however when downloading to a VM I have with
cloudatcost (I think they are in Canada), I am not having any problems.

I just tried to download the latest note dump file. The first time it
stalled out at 2.6 MB. A second attempt stalled at 1.something then picked
back up to 3 MB. Now it is trickling in at less than 70 KB/sec.

Since this looks like something happening along the way and not at either
end, here is a trace from me to planet.osm.org:

 1?: [LOCALHOST]                                         pmtu 1500
 1:  no reply
 2:  no reply
 3:  kanren-ksu-pplant-border.peer.net.kanren.net          2.479ms
 4:  bb-ksu-hale-e2-1.bb.net.kanren.net                    3.196ms
 5:  bb-kc-walnut-e2-4.bb.net.kanren.net                   6.768ms
 6:  et-10-0-0.1050.rtr.kans.net.internet2.edu             5.911ms
 7:  et-9-0-0.106.rtr.chic.net.internet2.edu              17.584ms
 8:  et-9-0-0.115.rtr.wash.net.internet2.edu              35.037ms
 9:  abilene-wash.mx1.fra.de.geant.net                   127.550ms
10:  ae1.mx1.ams.nl.geant.net                            133.560ms
11:  ae2.mx1.lon.uk.geant.net                            155.513ms
12:  janet-gw.mx1.lon.uk.geant.net                       158.483ms
13:  ae29.londpg-sbr1.ja.net                             169.894ms
14:  be24.londic-rbr1.ja.net                             157.260ms
15:  imperial-college.ja.net                             158.031ms
16:  me-rach.net.ic.ac.uk                                142.874ms
17:  no reply
18:  no reply

Toby