[OSM-dev] Nominatim 2.3 release announcement

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sun Oct 5 16:51:24 UTC 2014

On Sunday 05 October 2014, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:

> Well, the idea was to make only the 'river line' of rivers searchable
> and complete ignore the areas as they have only limited meanining
> from a geolocation point of view. So, it should show only waterway
> relations, waterway ways that are not part of a relation (and are not
> something potentially interesting like a waterfall) as well as
> natural=water. Of course, it's all heuristics because tagging is far
> from consistent. For some disussions see
> https://github.com/twain47/Nominatim/issues/155

I figured that intention from the results i saw for various rivers.
Still it would be good i think to distinguish between waterway
relations and ways in the results.  For larger rivers there are very
often individual ways missing in the relation, most frequently side
streams of course, so you rarely only get a sigle result with
type=waterway:river.

For the Rhine you for example currently get

http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=9161541869

for the Seine:

http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=9161541869
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=9182370138

for the Zambezi:

http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=9156313780

> I'm dimmly aware that there is a new proposal for water areas aiming
> to unify fowing and standing water areas. I can't say I'm very happy
> with it from a data processing point of view because it mixes primary
> geographic objects that are of interest on its own (lakes etc.) with
> secondary objects that only describe the area of another object
> (i.e. river and riverline). Having to use a second tag to figure out
> the meaning of the first is always problematic. Therefore, Nominatim
> ignores the whole water=* issue in the hope that the tagging schema
> doesn't really catch on. ;)

I fully agree here, flowing and standing water should be a primary
distinction - but there is of course also the opposite case with lakes
being tagged waterway=riverbank.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/