[OSM-dev] Adding Slippy Map to Taginfo's Projects Tab?

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Oct 8 15:09:28 UTC 2014

On Mi, Okt 08, 2014 at 03:47:34 +0100, Andy Allan wrote:
> On 8 October 2014 15:19, Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 Jochen Topf wrote about "Upcoming new feature:
> > Projects" in [Taginfo-dev] which you recently released [1]. That's a
> > cool feature and many projects are already integrated [2]!
> >
> > Would'nt it be very helpful to have also Slippy Map
> > (openstreetmap-carto [3]) listed there?
> >
> > Did anybody already thought about a tool to convert CartoCSS (or
> > Mapnik) style to the json project file required by Taginfo [4]?
>
> We had a discussion on this within the openstreetmap-carto project:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/961
>
> The outcome is that it's almost impossible[1] to do this automatically
> since we do a lot of tag processing in our SQL statements.

I think a quick-and-dirty 80/20 solution would still be useful. Most projects
currently supplying data to taginfo do not supply a complete list of tags they
use either.

The reason for the taginfo projects feature is to help with finding tag usage
etc., it doesn't allow anyone to switch off their brains. Even if you have a
complete list of tags used, that doesn't mean you can understand in what
circumstances they are used in detail without looking for more documentation
about a project or in the source code and config files.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  jochen at remote.org  http://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-721-388298