[OSM-dev] load-osm.sh

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Oct 14 01:08:56 UTC 2014

On 10/13/2014 12:52 AM, Sven Geggus wrote:
> I still think distributing sql updates for rendering databases in addition
> to osm diffs would be a nice to have feature, because the state of the osm
> database is of no interest to a rendering database.  I never tried to
> implement this though.

How I'd probably implement this after the C++ branch is merged is add a
new "text" backend, where instead of connecting to PostgreSQL, commands
are written out to text files, and then use the new multi-backend
backend, outputting to both a database and minutely text files. The
database would enable regular dumps to be taken, and the sql files could
be easily applied with cat text | psql -f -.

A fairly common existing solution is to use postgres replication so only
one server gets the io load of updates. Of course, this currently
requires also replicating the slim tables, which was one of the
motivations for the multi-backend.