[OSM-dev] load-osm.sh

Hartmut Holzgraefe hartmut.holzgraefe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 15:33:19 UTC 2014

On 10/13/2014 09:52 AM, Sven Geggus wrote:

> Jepp. I already did something like this myself. A disadvatage of the
> approach is, that there is no way to dump indexes, they have to be
> re-created on the target machine while running pg_restore.

one of the reasons why I was working on a mysql output backend for
osm2pgsql

 -> file formats being architecture-agnostic

   => with MyISAM table data and index files can simply be copied
      into another instace (but with the usual MyISAM disadvantages
      like table level write locks and lack of ACID compliance)

   => starting with MySQL 5.7 InnoDB will have full support for
      GIS data *including* spatial indexes, and with "transportable
      tablespaces" it is rather easy to export/import raw InnoDB
      table files from one instance into another

Unfortunately I didn't find the time to keep osm2pgsql upstream
changes merged for quite a while, and even less so to get my own
changes merged upstream ... with the ongoing C++ rewrite work I
probably have to start over from scratch now ... doesn't sound
like a task that can be done on a single hack weekend :(

--
hartmut