[OSM-dev] Extending OSM capability to realise a fictional country

Antje 2015 at minoa.li
Mon Oct 20 12:52:22 UTC 2014

Hola,

While I have a bit of trouble figuring out how to use a moderated mailing list, SomeoneElse (http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=457842#p457842 <http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=457842#p457842>) recommended me to post this enquiry here in case anyone knows more about the nuts and bolts of a server… so I did.

After nearly two years of editing OpenStreetMap (OSM) with as much knowledge as I know about Greater London (as a way to escape from real-life), I hope to extend my map editing skills to map a fictional NationStates country called Minoa (https://www.nationstates.net/nation=minoa <https://www.nationstates.net/nation=minoa>). I have been thinking about how I would map this country properly for over five years, and recently I considered using OSM technology because of the flexibility it offers in comparison to using Adobe Illustrator or Google Earth.

I appreciate invitations to use OpenGeoFiction, but for this project, codenamed OpenMinoaMap (OMM), I wish to implement a local production-stage server because I want to understand the process of doing it, whether it is automatically or manually. Putting my own project live on the internet is a long-term goal that I do not wish to consider now, due to budget constraints.

Hence, my objective of the project is to create a local production-stage platform with OSM-technology that allows me to create and edit my fictional world on OMM in the same way as I do for the real world on OSM, via Potlatch or JOSM.

I plan to use a refurbished computer (it was the last to have a 32-bit OS as it was built in 2009) to host my project. My specific requirements include the following:
I would like to be able to edit OMM through JOSM, because I envisage Minoa to be a large and detailed country, and I do not want to have to open the whole planet just to add a new building or road that I thought of the night before.
I would like to install a couple of extra stylesheets in addition to the standard style to show off my public transport systems.
I would like the software to start up automatically because the server will not operate 24 hours a day to save energy.

I started this topic because while I have already looked around for instructions to set up the Rails Port, I think there may be specific instructions to realise my project (especially with the JOSM capability and server root locations): obviously, I wish to avoid making the mistakes that waste my time. I am also aware of the automated Docker script at https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/homme/openstreetmap-website/dockerfile/ <https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/homme/openstreetmap-website/dockerfile/>, but I am not sure if it requires code changes to suit my requirements.

Here are the specifications:
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Processor: Intel Core i7 920, 2.67 GHz over 4 physical CPUs
Memory: 6144 MB RAM
1st disk: 500 GB, for holding the Ubuntu operating system
2nd disk: 1.5 TB, for holding the production database and tiles, mounted on Ubuntu at /omm, and the web root also being /omm instead of /var/www

I am mostly a Mac user who is quite new to Ubuntu, which I believe is what OpenStreetMap uses. I hope that easy to understand instructions for setting up a production version of the server will help other fictional world mappers make great use of OSM technology to realise often-extensive fantasy countries.

Thanks in advance,

Antje (Amaroussi)