[OSM-dev] Acceptable use of Overpass API?

Peter graphhopper at gmx.de
Fri Apr 17 07:18:00 UTC 2015

Hi Nick,

the recommended GraphHopper-way is to prepare graphhopper files for an
area and setup a server which hosts that files. Another more
developer-intense approach would be to have the complete graph already
loaded and then create such 10x10km slices on-demand. Personally I would
suggest to avoid triggering Overpass API for such bulk requests or setup
your own servers with that API.

What I do not understand: if the user has online access why would you
need the full graphhopper files on the device? Why not use e.g. our
Directions API or host your own graphhopper server? This way the user
just needs a very small path to download and you avoid hitting the
Overpass API.

Regards,
Peter