[OSM-dev] Acceptable use of Overpass API?

Nick Whitelegg nick.whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Apr 16 18:22:26 UTC 2015

Hi,

As a few of you might know I am developing an augmented reality hikers' app for Android. As part of this I would like to develop route finding (including AR signposts) facilities, using GraphHopper.

However I don't want users to have to download a huge OSM or GraphHopper file covering the whole of England and Wales: I would prefer users to download small tiles of OSM data (say 10km x 10km) of their local area, which could then be cached on their device. The conversion to GraphHopper format could be done on the device.

Overpass seems good for this: the usage policy suggests up to 10000 hits/day is acceptable. I can't see more than a small number of people using the app for now: furthermore I could route requests through a proxy on my own server which ensures that no more than 5000 (to be safe) requests to Overpass per day are made.

Does this sound an acceptable use of the Overpass API?

Thanks,

Nick