[OSM-dev] Languages

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Apr 20 07:00:42 UTC 2015

Hello Ramneek

You are not quite clear if you want translations for a new project or if
you want to add translations of tags to an existing project.

If it is the later:

- the OpenStreetMap website is translated on
http://transwiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
- the iD editor (including its presets)
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/id-editor/
- the JOSM editor https://translations.launchpad.net/josm/+translations

Note in all cases the actual tag values are not translated, simply the
labels used to identify them in the editor presets.

There is further a more principle problem that in OSM real world objects
tend to be identified by tag combinations that have grown historically.
It is not guaranteed that literal translations of individual tag keys
and values will actually result in a better and easier user experience
than simply leaving them in English.

If you are looking for translation tools/platforms for a new project,
transifex seems to be the most popular currently.

Simon