[OSM-dev] How to keep a geographic local part of OSM updated with minutely diffs?

mmd mmd.osm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 21:06:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am 01.12.2015 um 13:56 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/01/2015 11:33 AM, tb wrote:
>> But the disadvantage here is time: the computation of the three steps
>> might take to much time and brings me way behind even by using minutely
>> diffs. On the other hand i can start over every night by using a fresh
>> cut my region(s) of interest.
>
> There's a third option in theory; Overpass API produces and publishes
> "augmented diffs" that contain the geometry of all modified objects.
> That information would be sufficient to clip from such an update the
> region of interest, and apply only that to your OSM database. I'm not
> aware of anyone using this however and haven't tried myself.

IIRC, OpenRailwayMap team was evaluating this option last year but
eventually decided to use another approach. Nevertheless, updating a
database with specific tags only (in this case railway=*) or a certain
bbox should still be feasible. If you're interested, check out [1].

There's also 'Show me the way' [2] as one well known user of Augmented
diffs. Obviously this is not in any way related to updating a local db.

hth,
mmd

[1] https://github.com/drolbr/Overpass-API/issues/139
[2] https://osmlab.github.io/show-me-the-way/