[OSM-dev] Call for help: Reviewing osm2pgsql pull requests and issues

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Feb 11 01:44:24 UTC 2015

osm2pgsql is a key component in most rendering chains, including
OpenStreetMap Carto, Cycle Map, MapBox Streets, Humanitarian, MapQuest
Open, and others. Given its importance, it has relatively few
developers. It is written in C++ and there are contributions that can be
made if you know PostgreSQL and not C++.

It is a somewhat large code base, and not always the clearest. One way
to become more familiar is helping with issues and reviewing pull
requests. I'm sure I could find people to review the PRs that are up,
but it would be good to get more developers familiar with this important
software.

A few current understandable PRs are

https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/pull/279 - adding a --schema
option for PostgreSQL schemas

https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/pull/282 - ./configure change
that needs testing on systems other than Ubuntu, Debian or FreeBSD

https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/pull/275 - a change to the
recommendations for PostgreSQL column types for some "extra attributes"

https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/pull/248 - a code cleanup
with a performance loss that needs tracking down

I should offer thanks to MapQuest (of whom I am an employee) for the
rewrite from C to C++ and fixing many issues.

osm2pgsql knowledge is an employable skill.