[OSM-dev] Google Summer of Code 2015 Application

Cristiano Giovando cristiano.giovando at hotosm.org
Thu Feb 12 06:54:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 5:18 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 7:18 AM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 11.02.2015 02:44, Cristiano Giovando wrote:
>> > Are there any plans to apply for GSoC this year? I found this page [1]
>> > on the wiki, but it hasn't been updated since November. [...]
>> > [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2015
>>
>> I'm also interested in the plans for this year's GSoC. The application
>> period for organizations ends next Friday, so we should act now if we
>> want OSM to part of this Summer of Code. I believe OSM should apply and
>> I am willing to volunteer for administrative tasks or mentoring if needed.
>>
>> We've discussed this topic in our local community and tried to contact
>> Ian, who organized OSM's participation in GSoC in the past, but we have
>> not yet received a reply.
>

> Hi folks,
>
> I was not planning on applying for GSoC this year due to the lack of
> interest in previous years. OSM's developer community is sparse – there are
> very few people working on OSM software and those that do are already busy
> or otherwise uninterested in helping a student, so trying to get
> mentor/developer buy-in is nearly impossible.
>
> I think the key to a successful GSoC is for individual projects within the
> OSM software community to come up with interesting projects and mentors
> specific to their software. JOSM, iD, osm2pgsql, ogr2osm, nominatim, and
> overpass are all mature software projects that exist within the OSM
> ecosystem and I've had very little luck getting their developers to express
> any interest in GSoC in the past.

It would be great if you could reach out again to those developers and
ask them individually if they are interested in GSoC this year. They
may not be reading this list and just not aware of the opportunity.

We just started a list here [1] and we'll be working with developers
involved with those projects to finalize ideas and identify mentors.

If you have anything HOT-related that you would like to propose,
please submit your idea through the GitHub page or send me an email.

Cheers,

Cristiano

[1] https://github.com/hotosm/HOT-Project-Ideas/labels/GSoC2015