[OSM-dev] OSM with Hadoop

Stephen Knox stephenknox73 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 18:38:19 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I am preparing for a GIS MSc thesis at Kingston University (London) and
since I am very interested in OSM (https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/stev)
and big data technologies, I have chosen to base my dissertation on Hadoop
and OSM.

I have searched the forum archives for previous references and come up with
a few links, such as
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2012-March/024468.html and
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmosis-dev/2010-August/000684.html
but there does not seem to be an awful lot of previous experimentation at
least in the public domain.

So firstly I am wondering if I am missing any previous posts / research on
the topic?

Secondly, I have uploaded my initial proposal document to [1] below and I
would be grateful if anyone has any comments, either on my general view
that it is worthwhile to investigate parallel processing methods for OSM
given its growth over time or my specific proposals and background
information.

Thanks for your time and perhaps this will kickstart a discussion about
long term data storage strategy for OSM as well.

Stephen Knox

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dQsf_uJcyI3_xGCPtmEKwsZgoIr3SXKPoaBFh_Y5HeI/edit?usp=sharing