[OSM-dev] Introduction as a prospective GSoC'15 student

Peter Barth osm-peda at won2.de
Fri Mar 6 21:58:17 UTC 2015

Hello Shrey,

Shrey Bagroy schrieb:
> Is there some way I could start contributing to OSM?

regarding the projects you're interested in, there's a detailed
description on Serge's userpage for both projects here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Emacsen

For the moderation queue: You can start by having a look at the
website's source code.

For both projects I suggest to start mapping (i.e. add data to the map).
You should also have a look at the different quality assurance tools out
there. This will give you a fair overview of typical bugs and problems
with the OSM data. Also have a look at data imports and mechanical edits
that happened in the past (e.g. search for it on the different mailing
lists like import, talk,.. or in our wiki). This might give you an
impression of problems with this kind of data.

It's probably a good idea to have a deeper insight on these topics for
your application to get a good ranking.

Peda