[OSM-dev] Introduction as a prospective GSoC'15 student

Shrey Bagroy shrey14099 at iiitd.ac.in
Fri Mar 6 17:30:57 UTC 2015

Hi Ian!
I actually spent some time exploring OSM before I sent this email. I went
through the tutorials, got a feel for the tools and added a few places to
the map in my neighborhood. I also talked to a few people on the IRC and
got a general idea about the projects that I have shown an interest in.
Is there some way I could start contributing to OSM?

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 9:20 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Shrey!
>
> Welcome to OSM. One of the most important things we look for in a
> potential student is their knowledge of our dataset and tools. I recommend
> that you get started by spending some time mapping your area, going through
> the tutorials at learnosm.org, and get to a point where you feel fluent
> with how OpenStreetMap works as a community of mappers and as a dataset.
>
> Let us know if you have any questions as you make your way through the
> editing process.
>
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Shrey Bagroy <shrey14099 at iiitd.ac.in>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm an undergraduate student, studying Computer Science and Engineering
>> at Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology,Delhi. I am interested
>> in the Moderation Queue and OSM Anomaly detection projects, which I found
>> in OSM's ideas list for GSoC'15.
>> My background is of a web developer.I am comfortable with
>> HTML,CSS,Javascript,Bootstrap for the front end. For the back-end, I prefer
>> Ruby on Rails but also have some experience with Python (Django).
>> ( Github: https://github.com/sbagroy986 )
>> It would be great if somebody could help me get started.
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Shrey Bagroy

Thanks,