[OSM-dev] [GSoC] Web application for sharing 3D-Models

Óscar de Arriba odarriba at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 19:19:28 UTC 2015

Hi everyone!

I'm a student currently enrolled in this year GSoC, and I'm interested in the idea of creating a 'Web application for sharing 3D-Models to use in OSM-related 3D-Applications', but I have some questions about it.

I suppose that the idea is to build a web application to allow users of OSM to upload their models, moderate them and make them available using some kind of API. Am I right?

Is the student selected free to choose the programming language used to build the application? I feel very comfortable using Ruby on Rails, but I can adapt myself to other languages (PHP, Node.js, Java...) without any problem, as long as I have been developing web application (both front and backend) the last years.

The last thing I would like to ask, is about rendering the model in JS. Which format is used in OSM? Is there any kind of information about? Is there any previous experience relating 3D modelling required?

Thanks for all,
odarriba