[OSM-dev] Recording and Playback of camera movement in OSM2World

Peter Barth osm-peda at won2.de
Fri Mar 20 23:49:22 UTC 2015

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Cole schrieb:
> Before I ask anything else, are
> there any glaring problems with this design that would render it
> ineffective?

no. That's what we though of. We don't necessarily expect real time
output but as you said: Production of one image after the other and in
the end ffmpeg or similar software can be used to create a video file.
For the povray output in OSM2World, realtime is unimaginable :) But we'd
like to have support for videos in povray, too.

>     For the beginning and ending sets of co-ordinates, is there a
> particular way that they should be passed in? [...]

We didn't specify that and there are a bunch of possibilities to do
it. We'd like to have a way to store the flight/movement description.
OSM2World should then be extended to read such a description file and
produce a video. As a movement involves a position (lat/lon and
elevation) for each point in time and possibly a viewing direction, the
format should be coping with that, too. How it's specified and stored is
up to the student and your best bet is to explain your idea already in
your application. E.g. will you interpolate between times, can you set
the camera speed, can you import GPX files,... How do you create such
files: Convert GPX to your format? Create a Dialog for OSM2World so the
user can click his way through the data? ...

> My second question is regarding file types.
> OSM2World clearly supports .osm files, but are .pbf files supported as
> well?

Yes, both is supported.

>     My final question is about extensions to this particular project.  I
> noticed that OpenStreetMap can provide navigation from one location to
> another.  Would using this video playback feature to allow the user to
> visualize a driving route from one point to another be a feasible
> extension? [...]

This sounds like an interessting idea :) Not that easy, but
interessting and if you think you can do it, add it to your application
and your timeline.

> Other possibilities for extensions to the project
> are smooth movements [...]

Yep, something we considered, too. But as I sketched above, we thought
to let this open to the student. You should come up with your own
idea(s), we just demand for a file format to store the movement, so the
video can be created from an OSM file + your-file-format + OSM2World.

Regards,
Peda