[OSM-dev] New Map Style feedback

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Nov 2 09:33:11 UTC 2015

Am 02.11.2015 um 09:40 schrieb Maarten Deen:

> I agree that the abandonging of the blue for motorways is a bad
> choice. It is not only a british color, motorways are signalled in
> blue also in lots of other countries in europe.
And in lots of countries in Europe they are signposted in green. I'm not
quite sure why we are being held ransom to a questionable decision which
was made (not so long ago) by an unrelated third party. Which
interesting enough however doesn't use every imaginable colour for their
road network either
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/#53.00818632749056,-1.4402046835289466
and essentially only differentiates between three road types.
> But that is not really the issue. It is not that a colorscheme should
> follow the colorscheme of a particular country per se. The current
> color scheme just makes it hard to distinguish roads. Teritary roads,
> being white, are all but unrecognizable. Looking at motorways, trunk
> roads or primary roads, I can not tell one from the other, except when
> I see two next to eachother.
> Furthermore, on high zooms, roads have gotten too fat. It makes the
> map look bulky.
>
> The colorscheme for roads is defintely a step back from the previous.
I think you'll find that most find that it is a big step forward. if you
development and discussion of the changes, or just compare with the
French style (which uses the previous colour scheme), it is very obvious
that the road network is rendered substantially better now. Your straw
man: "I have to be able to recognize each single road type in isolation"
is simply not realistic for a map that is supposed to include everything
else too.

Simon