[OSM-dev] OSM QA Tiles for data analysis

Matt Greene matt at mapbox.com
Fri Sep 4 23:18:48 UTC 2015

As announced yesterday on Mapbox's blog (
https://www.mapbox.com/blog/osm-qa-tiles/), a full-spectrum vector tileset
of OpenStreetMap is now publicly available for download at
http://osmlab.github.io/osm-qa-tiles/.

We are generating these tiles with libosmium - Jochen wrote about this just
this week (
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/dev/2015-September/028671.html)
and tippecanoe.

At Mapbox we're using this QA tiles to discover disconnected roads,
alignment errors, vandalism, etc. This is further facilitated by using
these tiles in conjunction with Turf.js (http://turfjs.org/), the
javascript-based geospatial analysis toolset, and Tile Reduce (
https://github.com/mapbox/tile-reduce), which can run the analysis across
all tiles in a given area.

We're opening this work with the spirit of sharing approaches to improve
the map - I'd love to get some feedback from members on here regarding this
release and its potential to provide meaningful QA for OpenStreetMap.

Cheers,
Matt Greene