[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql development PPA

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 22 22:09:59 UTC 2015

On 22-09-15 23:32, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 9/22/2015 2:37 AM, sebastic wrote:
>> Why package osm2pgsql releases separately when the distribution
>> packagers already do that?
>>
>> Is it just to service the Ubuntu userbase that isn't well served by
>> the UbuntuGIS PPA anymore?
> This is for Ubuntu only, Debian is well served already with 0.86.0 in
> stable and 0.88.1 for testing and backported to stable.
>
> The UbuntuGIS PPA doesn't package osm2pgsql or other common OSM software.

So there is room for improvement of the UbuntuGIS PPA.

>> As a Debian Developer maintaining most of GIS & OSM packages in the
>> Debian GIS team, osm2pgsql included, I strongly discourage 3rd party
>> packages, the quality tends not to be as good as the official packages
>> and not well integrated with the distribution (especially rebuilds for
>> transitions of library dependencies).
>>
>> Having easy access to development snapshots is added value that the
>> PPA can provide, but to duplicate the release builds is an unnecessary
>> waste of time.
>
> The version of osm2pgsql packaged with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (trusty) is
> 0.82.0, which is over two years old. 15.04 (vivid) isn't a LTS release
> so many people won't use it on servers or write guides for it, but it
> only has 0.86.0.
>
> I don't want to package osm2pgsql. I acquired new skills doing so, but
> instead I could have been working on styling, osm2pgsql changes, or
> something that earns me some money. A personal project I'm working on
> requires a more recent osm2pgsql version on Ubuntu 14.04. Longer-term,
> having a more recent osm2pgsql version available is important for guides
> which currently instruct someone to compile it from source.

While understaffed like most other projects, it's worth asking for
osm2pgsql backports for UbuntuGIS on ubuntu at lists.osgeo.org. And let
packagers do the packaging.

Since osm2psql is included in OSGeo-Live, and they include an outdated
development version (0.85.0), I'm sure there is interest into updating
osm2pgsql. OSGeo-Live is generally sourced from Ubuntu LTS (trusty) +
UbuntuGIS PPA, so having osm2psql backports maintained in UbuntuGIS is
in their interest too.

The UbuntuGIS PPA tends to pull in other backports too, that may not be
desirable for your use case.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--