[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql development PPA

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Sep 22 21:32:56 UTC 2015

On 9/22/2015 2:37 AM, sebastic wrote:
> Why package osm2pgsql releases separately when the distribution
> packagers already do that?
>
> Is it just to service the Ubuntu userbase that isn't well served by
> the UbuntuGIS PPA anymore?
This is for Ubuntu only, Debian is well served already with 0.86.0 in
stable and 0.88.1 for testing and backported to stable.

The UbuntuGIS PPA doesn't package osm2pgsql or other common OSM software.

> As a Debian Developer maintaining most of GIS & OSM packages in the
> Debian GIS team, osm2pgsql included, I strongly discourage 3rd party
> packages, the quality tends not to be as good as the official packages
> and not well integrated with the distribution (especially rebuilds for
> transitions of library dependencies).
>
> Having easy access to development snapshots is added value that the
> PPA can provide, but to duplicate the release builds is an unnecessary
> waste of time.

The version of osm2pgsql packaged with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (trusty) is
0.82.0, which is over two years old. 15.04 (vivid) isn't a LTS release
so many people won't use it on servers or write guides for it, but it
only has 0.86.0.

I don't want to package osm2pgsql. I acquired new skills doing so, but
instead I could have been working on styling, osm2pgsql changes, or
something that earns me some money. A personal project I'm working on
requires a more recent osm2pgsql version on Ubuntu 14.04. Longer-term,
having a more recent osm2pgsql version available is important for guides
which currently instruct someone to compile it from source.