[OSM-dev] carto 0.16.0 released

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Wed Apr 13 07:25:39 UTC 2016

Good morning nebulon42,

Thank you for the information and for the update.

A small suggestion: a communication tower does not have an icon on the
OSM map. For example, the TV tower in Berlin
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernsehturm_Berlin> , 368 meters (1207
ft) height: http://osm.org/go/0MbFhhKaw--?m= .

Or the TV tower in Odessa
<https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%B8%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F_%D0%B2%D1%8B%D1%88%D0%BA%D0%B0_%D0%9E%D0%B4%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B0>
, 199 m (652 ft): http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/409948785 looks just
like an usual building on the map.

In the past it was OK, as there was mostly the 2D traffic in the cities
(car, public transportation, bicycle, pedestrian). However, nowadays the
new emerging multi-billion industry of civil UAVs begins to generate the
3D traffic.

The civil UAVs are becoming safer, for instance, the DJI Phantom 4
<http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-4> has got a collision avoidance
system, the duplication of critical components and functions,
sophisticated fail-safe system, etc. However, the airspace safety is a
shared responsibility, - not only of the aircraft producers.

A civil UAV pilot usually studies a map of the area, weather forecast,
satellite images, etc. while working on a flight plan. An icon of a
tower with its height on the map would be beneficial in my opinion.

Best regards,
Oleksiy