[OSM-dev] carto 0.16.0 released

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Apr 15 06:01:26 UTC 2016

On 14/04/16 20:40, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:56:29 +0200
> Oleksiy Muzalyev <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
>> But there is no "mast" in the
>> JOSM "man_made" pre-sets.
> You may want to use "Report bug" from help menu in JOSM (see
> https://josm.openstreetmap.de/newticket for explanation).

Hi Mateusz,

Thank you for the suggestion. I did and it was immediately closed as a
duplicate: https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/12756 with another bug
ticket from seventeen months ago.

But, thanks to the assistance of nebulon42, I understand by now the
magnitude of the problem, - man_mad=tower is shown with the icon in the
JOSM data layer, as it is present in the JOSM's pre-sets, but is not
shown with an icon on the OSM map at all.

And vice versa, man_made=mast is shown on the OSM map with the correct
icon, but is not shown in the JOSM, as it is absent from its pre-sets.

So, due to the power of defaults, people map communication towers (or
masts) as (man_made=tower; tower:type=communication) and it is not
rendered on the OSM map at all, though it looks as if it is well mapped
in the JOSM. I checked at http://overpass-turbo.eu/ and it is the
invisible (man_made=tower; tower:type=communication) which dominates
overwhelmingly.

I started to re-tag communication towers, which I know, as
(man_made=mast;tower:type=communication). For example, this tower of 220
meters in the city of Mykolaiv is already shown on the map:
http://osm.org/go/0izbJWLIA-?m= , and before yesterday it was a blank spot.

The communication tower (or mast) icon on the map may be interesting not
only for inhabitants of  rural areas in Africa, or pilots, but also to
hikers, to drivers on motorways, as being close to a communication tower
means that one may send a message, call, download information, etc.

I will try today to write a message about this issue also to the
openstreetmap-carto (the Standard map layer) discussion thread.

With best regards,
Oleksiy