[OSM-dev] Experimenting with ClearTables, self-hosted vector tiles, and Tangram client-side rendering

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Aug 25 08:27:17 UTC 2016

On 8/25/2016 12:45 AM, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote:
> I looked at several cities at the Tangram map. I like especially
> Crosshatch style, - very impressive. It takes a split second to find
> say the Eiffel Tower on the Tangram map:
> https://tangrams.github.io/carousel/?crosshatch#16/48.8616/2.3082 and
> in general to get a layout of a place recognizable later on the ground
> via these tall reference points.

To be clear, styles other than the one I linked are not by me and
unrelated to my style. They use the same client-side rendering engine,
but that's it.

> Since Tangram is "drawing vector tiles live in a web browser" is it
> possible to make a comprehensive selection of a language?

MVT, the tile format I'm using, and Mapnik, the vector tile generator do
not have a suitable datatype for names in an arbitrary list of
languages: https://github.com/mapbox/vector-tile-spec/issues/75.
TopoJSON might be more flexable but I haven't considered it.

> One more thing, for some reason the search of the Tangram map does not
> find Odessa, Ukraine.

Tangram doesn't have a search functionality, what's on that page is
provided by some geocoding provider. It's not my page so I don't know
what it's using, but given Tangram is developed by Mapzen, it's probably
Mapzen's geocoder.