[OSM-dev] OpenStreetMap.org site statistics

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Dec 13 11:59:51 UTC 2016

On 13/12/16 11:50, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:

> вт, 13 дек. 2016 г. в 13:55, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu
> <mailto:tom at compton.nu>>:
>
>     On 13/12/16 10:33, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:
>
>     > It lists awstats for www, planet, and wiki. They all are down.
>
>     Interesting. I wasn't aware that had ever been public.
>
>     I think it does still try to run but frankly it's pretty hopeless with
>     the volume of data we have I think.
>

> Looking
> at https://github.com/openstreetmap/chef/tree/master/cookbooks/stats -
> it should be public. No auth attempts that I see in configs.

I just meant I wasn't aware it was, not that it wasn't meant to be.

I think that was originally setup before I was involved, which shows how
long ago it was ;-)

>     > What is current way to look at statistics on osm.org
>     <http://osm.org> <http://osm.org>
>     > visits, planet accesses and wiki popularity?
>
>     I don't think there are any public statistics.

> Are there non-public statistics?
> Ghostery extension suggests there is Piwik installation on osm.org
> <http://osm.org>.

Yes we are running piwik.

>     It's generally a tricky thing to do because of the privacy issues
>     involved and the need to make sure things are aggregated into big enough
>     buckets to avoid revealing anything we shouldn't.
>
> What exactly and why shouldn't be revealed?

Well anything that can identify an individual, which might include
aggregated values if buckets are too small.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/