[OSM-dev] OpenStreetMap Carto release v3.0.0

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Dec 22 14:12:29 UTC 2016

On 22/12/16 13:57, Sven Geggus wrote:
> Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:
>> No, the new project.mml is just a renamed project.yaml.
>
> *argh*
>
> So it would be best to do a git mv project.yaml project.mml before trying to
> merge?

I maintain a fork of osm-carto for vector tiles[1] and I saw this file
renaming changes when I was trying to merge "upstream" changes into my
fork. Initially I thought I'd have to do something complicated, but it
turns out git is actually pretty clever.

If you just merge, one-by-one, commits from upstream into your branch,
git will be able to do it all automatically. "git merge --no-ff SHA" for
various commits on upstream master from before the file renaming
happened, and then merge the filename in, then merge other commits. And
it all works out.

It can make your git history look a bit branch-y though[2] 😉

[1] https://github.com/geofabrik/openstreetmap-carto-vector-tiles
[2] https://imgur.com/a/eMYhQ