[OSM-dev] Simpler binary OSM formats

Andrew Byrd andrew at fastmail.net
Sun Feb 7 18:59:36 UTC 2016

Hi Dmitry,

Yes, there are similarities and I did study the o5m format before I began work on vex. The last section of my original article compares the two and gives my impressions of o5m: http://conveyal.com/blog/2015/04/27/osm-formats#comparisons-with-o5m <http://conveyal.com/blog/2015/04/27/osm-formats#comparisons-with-o5m>

In summary: o5m uses string tables with a fixed size and an LRU eviction policy. Producers and consumers must keep their string tables exactly in sync. Strings are then referenced by integers indicating how recently they were used (1 to 15000). This adds quite a bit of complexity to o5m implementations, especially considering that this eviction strategy can backfire on certain inputs leading to files that are actually bigger than a basic gzipped text representation of the same data. According to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:O5m#Compression_Algorithms <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:O5m#Compression_Algorithms> o5m uses string tables specifically to avoid relying on general purpose compression. I find this unnecessary considering that zlib compression is quite effective, resource efficient (with adjustable compression level), and available practically everywhere.

There are a few other unusual design decisions documented and discussed at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/O5m <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/O5m> and http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:O5m <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:O5m>. For example, strings are both introduced and terminated by a null byte, and are often stored in pairs (i.e. three null bytes per string pair, one of which is at the beginning of the string).

Of course I recognize o5m's contribution to the dialog on binary formats, and we can of course learn from the o5m concept, but my conclusion is that it does not have the combination of extreme simplicity and compactness necessary to complement the existing formats.

As for fixed sized blocks in vex, I did consider that option but couldn’t come up with a compelling reason for it. I can see the case for a maximum block size (so we know what the maximum size of allocation will be), but can you give a concrete example of how fixed-size blocks would be advantageous in practice? I would be very hesitant to split any entity across multiple blocks.

-Andrew