[OSM-dev] Google summer of code 2016

Jorge López nokutu at openmailbox.org
Sun Feb 14 18:02:56 UTC 2016

Hi Jayamine,

I'm the one that proposed the idea you are asking for. I'm glad someone
is interested in it.

El 14/02/2016 a las 17:31, Jayamine A. escribió:
> hi all,
>
> I'm a university student who is interested at projects of
> OpenStreetMap in gsoc 2016. I read some wiki pages and also add some
> places in Kandy town map in Sri Lanka to OSM to get a real feel about
> OSM.
>
> I feel awesome..:-)
>
> Specially i'm interested at the project "Android application for
> public transportation ".
> . I'm a java expert and also have some kind of android knowledge.
>
> I like to know more about the OSM implementation if there are
> refereces that will help please let me know.

You should probably take a look at the Overpass API [1] and probably to
the Tile servers [2].
> What are the main features that you are hoping in that android
> application?
> (Like fast , Nice graphical user interface and etc)
And about the app. I don't think there is anything similar (if there is,
please, tell me). I thought about an app which showed you information
about public transportation in the city you choose. Showing in the
background a map like this one [3] and also showing information about
stops, frequency [4] (where available) and any other thing the OSM
database could contain. Routing features would also be really cool.

Jorge López

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_servers
[3] http://demo.3liz.com/osmtransport/