[OSM-dev] Upcoming change in files on openstreetmapdata.com

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sun Feb 28 18:56:13 UTC 2016

In the processed coastlines available for download on
openstreetmapdata.com we are planning a change in the files that could
affect some data users.

Specifically we intend to move the split polygons in EPSG:4326
projection from the current dynamic splitting to a regular 1x1 degree
grid.  I described the reasons for this in more detail here:

http://blog.imagico.de/on-slicing-the-world-news-from-openstreetmapdata-com/

The new style files are temporarily available on

http://data.openstreetmapdata.com/land-polygons-split-regular-4326.zip
http://data.openstreetmapdata.com/water-polygons-split-regular-4326.zip

I assume this change will be an improvement for the majority of users
but if there are data users for whom this might cause problems please
let us know.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/