[OSM-dev] OSM PBF and spatial characteristics of blocks

Stadin, Benjamin Benjamin.Stadin at heidelberg-mobil.com
Wed Jan 6 15:00:37 UTC 2016

I think for exporting data of a given area, the cell based spatial splitting will outperform any database solution that treats individual geometries by an order of magnitude. But I think you are right about PBF being too simple, random access issues and updateability.

I still think that a clever block handling would work well for both extracts and updates.
What do you think about changing vex files to use offset pointers for it's data, and a fill factor of say 10-20 percent?
So the initial cell size would be 20% larger on disk, change set data would mean to simply unlink the offset and append data to the current offset. When growing too large, a new file would be generated with again 20% additional space for change sets.
Is there any data missing from the vex file format, or is all included from OSM pbf?

Ben

Von meinem iPad gesendet