[OSM-dev] JOSM 9329, - Change default color of GPS tracks to magenta (r9248)

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Fri Jan 8 09:30:33 UTC 2016

I like this change a lot. Now GPS tracks are clearly visible on the
satellite image. I look at GPS tracks carefully in JOSM before going to
mountains.

A GPS track in mountains means that someone actually walked a route, and
if there are three or four GPS tracks means that it is a well-frequented
path.

For example, there are quite a few GPS tracks visible in JOSM between
Plambuit train station and Salin [1]. This is a safe path [2] with
amenities for tourists. Another one, closer to the ravine of the Grande
Eau river, where there is only one GPS track, has got a risk of rockfalls.

Sometimes a path is not mapped at all, but there are still GPS tracks.

I wish it could be possible to view GPS tracks in magenta color as a map
layer at the main OSM page, and also in mobile applications, especially
like MAPS.ME, which allow to download a map (often no Internet access in
mountains). It would be a potentially life-saving feature.

brgds
O.

[1] http://osm.org/go/0CH_rCNT?m=
[2] http://www.sentierdusel.ch/