[OSM-dev] Usage of the standard dev server

Bryan Housel bryan at 7thposition.com
Mon Jan 11 14:27:26 UTC 2016

Yes api06.dev.openstreetmap.org <http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/> is a valid sandbox for editing, but the rails site hosted there loads tiles from the main tileserver.  Because tile generation is such a resource intensive process, I don’t think there is a plan to generate and serve dev tiles.

I have considered making it easier for iD to connect to this sandbox so that new users can play around more, but there are a few things holding me back:
1. no https will cause mixed content issues
2. the database is mostly empty, so not very helpful from a new user perspective.

If we had https support on that api, and maybe did periodic database refresh of production to dev, I think it would open the possibility of using the server more for a new user sandbox, or for training purposes.

To be clear, I’m not complaining about the current setup - it works totally fine for me.  The stuff mentioned above just comes up in discussion sometimes and is very low priority.

Thanks, Bryan