[OSM-dev] Fwd: TCP Fast Open Experiment

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Thu Jun 2 17:48:56 UTC 2016

On 2 June 2016 at 18:00, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

>>> Well that machine is running 1.10.1 so I guess it should be available.
>>

>> It's not enabled by default, you need to make sure that nginx has the
>> http2 module compiled in and then there's a small configuration change to
>> make:
>>
>> https://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_v2_module.html
>

> And most importantly, HTTP/2 basically requires TLS so it's not going to
> help much right now. Personally I'd like to see OpenStreetMap go TLS-only
> but that's a bigger discussion.

This experiment is only for HTTP without TLS for the moment. TFO and
HTTP/2 are a create combo and I plan to test them soon. We are using
Ubuntu 16.04 which ships with openssl 1.0.2 and supports
Application-Layer Protocol Negotiation which is required for HTTP/2.

I too would like to go TLS only, but we have a long tail of software
and versions we'd like to support. We also have mappers dispersed all
over with world (YAY!), but some have slow or unreliable connections.
TLS has traditionally suffered from extra round trips and has seemed
to suffer more when connections have some packet loss.

Kind regards,

Grant