[OSM-dev] Fwd: TCP Fast Open Experiment

Christian Quest cquest at openstreetmap.fr
Wed Jun 8 07:19:50 UTC 2016

> On 2 June 2016 at 18:00, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> April

> >> It's not enabled by default, you need to make sure that nginx has the
> >> http2 module compiled in and then there's a small configuration change
> >> make:
> >>
> >> https://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_v2_module.html
> >

> > And most importantly, HTTP/2 basically requires TLS so it's not going to
> > help much right now. Personally I'd like to see OpenStreetMap go TLS-only
> > but that's a bigger discussion.
> >

> This experiment is only for HTTP without TLS for the moment. TFO and
> HTTP/2 are a create combo and I plan to test them soon. We are using
> Ubuntu 16.04 which ships with openssl 1.0.2 and supports
> Application-Layer Protocol Negotiation which is required for HTTP/2.
>
> I too would like to go TLS only, but we have a long tail of software
> and versions we'd like to support. We also have mappers dispersed all
> over with world (YAY!), but some have slow or unreliable connections.
> TLS has traditionally suffered from extra round trips and has seemed
> to suffer more when connections have some packet loss.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Grant

FYI I've enabled HTTP/2 on tilecache.openstreetmap.fr which is our new main
tile cache for HOT and FR basemaps. It is only enabled for HTTPS.

You can check https://b.tile.openstreetmap.fr/osmfr/6/31/22.png

The server is currently running nginx 1.9.10 which has a small bug on
HTTP/2 which causes "writing connections" to grow overtime. I have a
restart done nightly to handle it... and will move to 1.10 (a fix has been
done in 1.9.12).

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France