[OSM-dev] Overpass-API 0.7.52 : HTTP 429 error even after kill_my_queries

mmd mmd.osm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 09:20:35 UTC 2016

Hi,

Am 12.06.2016 um 00:53 schrieb François Lacombe:

> Can someone explain why kill_my_queries tells there is no request and
> then an interpreter call fails in HTTP 429 ?

there are basically two issues here:

1. kill_my_queries currently has no effect. The query keeps on running
on the server.

Try a long running query in overpass turbo and send a kill_my_queries in
a different browser tab. The server claims to have killed the query. Try
it to kill it again right away, and you will get the same response
instead of "No query running from IP xyz".

2. The error message itself is a bit misleading. There's no other query
running on the server, you just hit the quota according to the
"rate_limited" in the error message.

Both issues are already logged on Github, see
https://github.com/drolbr/Overpass-API/issues/223#issuecomment-120707235
for details.

For the time being, you could try a lower timeout setting, a lower
maxsize setting, a different Overpass instance and larger delays between
each query.

Also you should change the timestamp in your query:
"2016-06-10T23:00:00+0200" is not supported, you need specify the time
in UTC/GMT timezone: "2016-06-10T00:00:00Z".