[OSM-dev] Overpass-API 0.7.52 : HTTP 429 error even after kill_my_queries

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 16:19:10 UTC 2016

Hi and thank you both for this information :)

Indeed, changelog told me 7.52 introduces this new rate limitation rule.
No problem for me : I've added a new waiting time in case of 429 error to
retry up to 4 times (delay is increased as much as failed tries).
The involved script is just a daily (or weekly) pull component which
doesn't require to get instant data as you may need to. So I can wait
couple of minutes to retry.

The issue I see is since we can't determine how high is our load on the
server side, we can't choose the best time to send a request.
429 error shouldn't return plain html but a time to wait until next call
(for the same request if the time to wait depends on the size of the
request).
Basically, plain html output isn't easy to handle for a machine. oAPI may
look at Accept header to choose the best way to interact with the client.
I'll post it in the github pull request.

Cheers

François

*François Lacombe*

fl dot infosreseaux At gmail dot com