[OSM-dev] Simple app for "making contributions" (not to display maps)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Jun 29 12:41:42 UTC 2016

Bjoern

In general I'm not convinced that raw GPS tracks are of a lot of use
without additional information in areas that might not have a well
established road network, that essentially makes the whole simple part
already more complex. Historically, before the advent of high resolution
imagery being available for tracing, it was not uncommon to have phantom
ways in OSM, where a well-meaning soul had turned a random GPS track in
to a road where there was none (for example somebody short-cutting
across a meadow).

Am 29.06.2016 um 14:04 schrieb Bjoern Hassler:
> Hi all,
>
> first post to the list - hope this is of interest.
>
> The background to my question is working is areas where map coverage
> is poor (e.g. parts of Africa). Sometimes only low-res satellite/bing
> imagery is available, sometimes obscured by clouds. In some low
> populated areas a GPS trace could be useful to map out roads
> connecting settlements (despite inaccuracies of GPS).
>
> There are many great OSM apps out there, including apps for recording
> traces (e.g. OSM tracker, etc). However, unless I've missed it, I
> would say that none of those apps is suitable for the "non-technical"
> user. Indeed, we've tried using various such apps, and it's been
> difficult in terms of usability.

Who is "we" in this context?

Simon