[OSM-dev] Simple app for "making contributions" (not to display maps)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Jun 29 12:43:04 UTC 2016

Bjoern,

   not need to stress the inaccuracies of GPS - GPS traces is how this
whole OpenStreetMap started, long before we even had aerial imagery. To
this day some of the older hands in OSM consider using aerial imagery a
not quite sportsmanlike way of adding data a.k.a. "cheating" ;)

On 06/29/16 14:04, Bjoern Hassler wrote:
> (There are of course issues with GPS traces, so perhaps automated
> capture of GPS traces is not that useful.)

Automatically recorded tracks, even without any extra information, can
be useful but of course it always requires someone with local knowledge
to translate a raw GPS track into something that can be added into the
database proper. Your user's contributions would be immensely more
valuable if there was a way for them to at least record the information
whether they're currently on a path or travelling cross-terrain.
(Sometimes this can be guessed from the speed of movement but not always.)

When mapping on my own with GPS I always used the waypoint marker button
on the GPS to mark intersections; this makes it easier to work witht the
data later. However this information will not find its way into the
standard GPS trace background in editors; it is only available when you
work with the track directly.

Bye
Frederik