[OSM-dev] Simple app for "making contributions" (not to display maps)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 14:32:56 UTC 2016

sent from a phone

> Il giorno 29 giu 2016, alle ore 14:04, Bjoern Hassler <bjohas+mw at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> Is there interest in (or is anybody working on) creating an very simple-to-use app that allows "non-technical" users to contribute OSM information?

there are some simple apps available, e.g. Pushpin or maps.me (there are lots more of them, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editors )
Generally editors that don't allow to change the geometry are simpler, but don't allow to perform certain corrections or additions.

While it is true that editing is never completely simple, a fair share of this is due to the complexity involved. There are some  people that can't read a map,  just because they have a smartphone now does not mean they can draw one.

I think a good way to make it simple is to reduce the scope. A dedicated app for (e.g.) petrol stations can ask the right questions and offer only those tags that are relevant. The more versatile the app gets, the more you will have to look for the gas station in the presets, and the more steps you'll have to go through.

Also every tag should be explained during insertion, e.g. that descriptions shouldn't go into name...

cheers,
Martin