[OSM-dev] practical usage of DJI Phantom 3 Advanced quadcopter for 3D mapping

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Thu Mar 10 10:56:44 UTC 2016

Hi,

This aerial image was made on March 8, 2016, in Odessa, Ukraine
(Moldavanka settlement). Altitude 150 meters, the wind at that day was 6
m/s, gusts up to 8 m/s (28 km/h, 17 mph). The limit for Phantom 3 [1] is
10 m/s. It is the full size image from Phantom 3 Advanced:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Moldavanka_(settlement)#/media/File:Moldavanka-ODS-1.JPG
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Moldavanka_%28settlement%29#/media/File:Moldavanka-ODS-1.JPG>

This image size is 4,000×3,000 (4.82 MB), so I could zoom, count
building:levels, and add them to the OSM for quite a few buildings.

The weather on this day was not perfect for aerial photography as there
was a strong wind with haze from the sea, still the images came out
sharp enough.

I noticed that after adding the building:levels tag to a building it is
rendered at maps.me <http://maps.me/en/home> application for smart-phone
with the correct 3D height.
A large number of such aerial images in all directions is produced
during one flight, so a large area is covered.
One more advantage of the Phantom 3 is that the geographical coordinates
are added to the JPGs photos automatically and precisely,
as the aircraft has the GPS&GLONASS system and a compass.

DJI Phantom 3 Advanced became more affordable, as DJI began to sell the
new Phantom 4 (which, by the way, has got even more advanced camera and
stabilization system).

[1] http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-adv/info

Best regards,
Oleksiy