[OSM-dev] Tile usage without proper identification

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Sep 5 18:19:08 UTC 2016

On 05/09/16 18:17, Christian Ledermann wrote:

> The Documentation on swith2OSM needs to be updated.
>
> https://switch2osm.org/using-tiles/getting-started-with-openlayers/
> and
> https://switch2osm.org/using-tiles/getting-started-with-leaflet/
>
> both use http://{s}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png
>
> My site https://schools.mapthe.uk becomes unusable after 20 views due
> to the tile usage policy.
>
> I assume this will be the case for a multitude of sites because either
> the JS library has a OSMTileProvider
> built in that points to tile.openstreetmap.org or OSM layer is
> documented using this url.

I don't understand what you are saying...

Those instructions are about setting up a web based map which shouldn't
normally hit any policy restrictions.

Nothing in those instructions will cause requests to be sent without a
referer or user agent so there shouldn't be any problem with a site
which is built following those instructions?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/