[OSM-dev] Tile usage without proper identification

Christian Ledermann christian.ledermann at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:17:34 UTC 2016

The Documentation on swith2OSM needs to be updated.

https://switch2osm.org/using-tiles/getting-started-with-openlayers/
and
https://switch2osm.org/using-tiles/getting-started-with-leaflet/

both use http://{s}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png

My site https://schools.mapthe.uk becomes unusable after 20 views due
to the tile usage policy.

I assume this will be the case for a multitude of sites because either
the JS library has a OSMTileProvider
built in that points to tile.openstreetmap.org or OSM layer is
documented using this url.

On 26 August 2016 at 13:12, Manuel Reimer <Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> On 08/23/2016 05:35 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
>>
>> If you turn off referrer transmission w.r.t. tiles the only effect this
>> has is it prevents the tile provider from knowing what website you were
>> requesting the tiles from.
>

> For me the reason for disabling Referrer at all has nothing to do with "tile
> providers". I just don't want this "feature" at all. With every click on
> every website, the linked website knows where I clicked the link. In my
> opinion such a "feature" should have never got HTTP standard! Noone needs to
> know where I came from when browsing the web!
>
>> In case of non-free tile providers by the way use of API keys and
>> tokens means the website is known to the tile provider even without a
>> referrer.
>

> No problem. It doesn't force me to have Referrer active so regular clicks on
> websites don't forward information where the click happened. So if possible,
> just allow optionally passing of a API key or just a "website name" as a
> parameter to the PNG files.
>
> If tile loading starts to suck without enabled Referrer, I would just
> install a referrer spoofing addon to spoof any call to the tile server from
> my webbrowser to always show like it was loaded from openstreetmap.org -->
> problem solved and I don't have to enable Referrer globally.
>
> Manuel

Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

Newark-on-Trent - UK
Mobile : +44 7474997517

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/christianledermann
https://github.com/cleder/

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>