[OSM-dev] OSM API lookups to complement minutely diffs?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Sep 15 23:30:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 09/15/2016 10:53 PM, Stefan Keller wrote:
> AFAIK augmented diffs are rather an experimental feature and I'd like
> to avoid the latency time and blackouts of overpass which runs in same
> server. So I'm concentrating on the main OSM API.

This reads to me like:

"There is a third-party service that solves the problem I have, but
because it is experimental, I would like to build my own experimental
third-party service instead" ;)

The augmented diffs were made to solve exactly the problem you have. The
underlying idea that Overpass implements - load updates from OSM into
its own full history database and generate augmented diffs using that
database - is by far the best solution in terms of load caused on the
central servers. It also scales nicely; if a thousand people decide to
run Overpass instances to produce their own augmented diffs then the API
won't suffer.

If you cannot work with overpass but must implement your own version of
that, then you should at least copy the principle. The central OSM API
is meant to support editing activity and doesn't scale to support use
cases like yours (especially if others come after you and decide they
need their own system because yours is experimental ;)

Bye
Frederik